Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Ribbed Beanie with Pom Pom - MINI TUTORIAL

Remember this Ribbed Beanie?


Here's a quick little how-to
on how I made mine.

((( I got the idea for this from All About Ami
who found the pattern from Lion Brand Yarn )))

First Step: Crochet a rectangle to fit around your head in single crochet ribbed stitch.
Single crochet ribbed stitch is just plain old single crochet (US terms)
stitched into back loops only on every row.

I used a 5mm crochet hook and chained 41 to get 40 stitches per row.
I crocheted 86 rows for my rectangle to measure 42cm/16.5" long.
The long part needs to fit around your head.
There is some stretch in this piece so make sure it fits comfortably.



Second Step: Once your rectangle is big enough, stitch the two shorter sides together with whip stitch.


Third Step: Sew around one of the openings and pull yarn tightly to close this end. Tie a knot under the pulled top and secure.
This makes the top of the beanie.
I found that pulling it tight while sewing it closed worked better - instead of waiting until you've sewed through the whole top and then pulling the yarn.


Fourth Step: Make a pom-pom and attach to the top of the beanie.
Everyone makes pom poms differently so make your own pom pom however you prefer.
I attached mine with yarn - but I have previously attached pom poms to alligator clips 
which gave me the option to wear the beanie/beret with pom pom or without.


Thought One: I wish I had made my beanie longer on the shorter sides so I could roll up a brim.
Thought Two: Dark purple doesn't photograph too well unless your in perfect light.
Thought Three: When will I be able to make a pom pom tight enough that the strands don't pull out?

No comments:

Post a Comment